The God That Comes at Uno Fest 2012 Victoria
We are excited to announce that Hawksley will be performing three work-in-progress showings of his new theatrical venture The God That Comes at Uno Fest 2012 in Victoria May 27-29.
The God that Comes tells the story of the Greco-Roman god of wine Bacchus (or Dionysus) and uses Euripides’ The Bacchae as a primary source. In a world ruled by greed and an oppressive king obsessed with rules and order, the lesser classes have taken to the countryside in a hedonistic spiritual revolution fuelled by wine, ritual madness, and ecstasy. Women, slaves, outlaws, and foreigners have all gone to the mountain to worship the god of wine, and to commune with their animal needs to dance, to lose control, to get drunk, and have sex. The king rails against the protesters, leading to a bloody conclusion.
This solo performance fuses the chaotic revelry of a rock concert with the intimacy of theatrical storytelling.
Created by Hawksley Workman and Christian Barry
Conceived and directed by Christian Barry
Music and performance by Hawksley Workman
This is a work-in-progress. Development partners have included Alberta Theatre Projects, Intrepid Theatre and The Banff Colony. The piece will premiere as part of the ATP playRites Festival in March 2013, and will go on to tour nationally and internationally.
- The God That Comes… in Ottawa
- The God That Comes in Halifax
- NEW RECORD: Songs From The God That Comes
- The God That Comes at the Alberta Theatre Projects playRites Festival
- ‘The God That Comes’ at PuSH Festival in Vancouver
- Australia & Woodford Folk Festival!
- Hawksley Workman Tour Dates, Toronto Show Announced!
- Symphony Nova Scotia Video
- The God That Comes at SummerWorks…
- Canada Day Countdown! Saint John NB on June 30th!